Posted on: 30 July 2015
Moving from one place of residence to another can often be a real pain in the neck. However, it doesn't have to be that way. Here are some ideas that might make your move a smooth one.
Before The Movers Come - This part of your move really counts a lot, so it will help a lot to be organized and to think of details.
- Have a family meeting to discuss how each family member can help in getting ready for the big moving day.
- Consider asking each person to go through his or her belongings in bedrooms to get rid of things that are no longer needed or wanted. A good idea is to have a stack for charity, another stack of items that might be sold at a yard sale, and another one for the garbage bin. Items that are being kept should be dusted.
- Think about working in teams as you go through the rest of the house. One team could work in the dining room, family room and the living room while another team works in the kitchen and the utility room. All of you may be needed in the garage, the attic or the basement.
Moving Day - Perhaps you are all having mixed emotions about this final day. While there is probably excitement about new experiences ahead, it is also sometimes hard to leave behind familiar surroundings.
- Before the movers come, consider going through each room as a family. Besides making sure that the rooms are mover-ready, this will be a good time to recall happy times that have built memories. Perhaps each person could share a memory. Think about having a family prayer where you give thanks for the times spent in this home.
- Consider having a large poster board diagram of your new house that shows where furniture pieces will go. When the movers show up, it will be helpful to go over the diagram so they'll know ahead of time where each item should be placed.
- Even though the packers and movers have been carefully trained to give each piece careful attention, it's still a good idea to point out fragile antiques or other delicate items. Some items may need to be crated or packed in another special way.
- When the movers have arrived at your new location, they will be happy to help you in the unpacking process.
If you want to know more, contact a company such as Doug's Hourly Muscle Movers & Packers Inc. to learn more.Share